My name is Louis Koenigsfeld.  I belong to the John Koenigsfeld branch of the Koenigsfeld clan.  I have many fond memories of the Roseville store and of the special people connected with the Roseville store: Grandpa Peter, Grandma Dora, Uncle Lawrence and Aunt Marcella.  The reason I had this opportunity was because  I stayed with Grandma and Grandpa so I could go to St. Mary’s school and make my First Communion. And I made my First Holy Communion on May 10, 1942. Grandpa  Peter and Grandma Dora Koenigsfeld were the godparents at my baptism.  I will attempt to pass on some of my thoughts and memories of each of these main persons in the saga of the Roseville store.


           Grandpa Peter was a no nonsense kind of person. I think he represented the German idea that the man was the real head of the household.  He was always nice to me.  I remember going out with him and setting on the porch and watching the cars go by and enjoying the evening.  Sometimes Charlie Schmitt who lived in what eventually turned out to be the home of Lawrence and Marcella, would come over and visit with Grandpa.  They would talk in German and I would always wonder what they were saying.  I remember sitting down to eat supper and someone would come into the store and Grandpa would say,” it always happens, as soon as we sit down, someone always comes in and wants something.”  Then Grandma would get up and go out and take care of the customer.  One of Grandpa’s favorite places was sitting in his rocker by the radio and listening to his favorite programs.  When it was time to go upstairs to bed, the front and back doors would be locked and Grandpa would get the metal cigar box that held the money and the pistol and head up to bed. 


           Grandma Dora was an angel and she was also a very good cook.  She was always so nice to me and took care of me like my mother would, maybe sometimes a little better since my Mom was busy taking care of a large family and didn’t have the time to spoil her oldest child.  One of my fondest memories of Grandma Dora was helping her get supplies ready each night for Uncle Lawrence’s route truck.  Uncle Lawrence would stop in and give Grandma a list of things he needed for the next day and I would go with Grandma to the garage and we would get all of the things that Uncle Lawrence needed for the next day.  Then after we would get everything ready, we would go in the house and  count the money that Uncle Lawrence took in from the route.  Counting the money made me feel real important.  I think Grandma would give me something for helping-maybe some candy or even some ice cream.  She was such a kind and wonderful person.


           Uncle Lawrence and Aunt Marcella were a big part of my life during the year that I stayed at the store.  And of course I received a lot of teasing from Uncle Lawrence. I will always remember that and of course it lasted through out his life.  A great memory was being able to ride with Uncle Lawrence a couple of times as he made his country routes in the panel truck.  Grandma made up a sack lunch for us and Uncle Lawrence would give me a bottle of orange pop.  They were long days but really exciting.  Aunt Marcella was very nice to me.  She and Uncle Lawrence were recently married and they lived at a house just south of the store.  Some times when I didn’t have school I would go to their house for the day.  I remember she helped me write a letter to Al Ruzicka who was in Ohio at the Josephinum, a seminary which I attended some time later for seven years.


           Some other thoughts in regard to the store outside of the year that I spent with Grandma Dora and Grandpa Peter.  Sundays were always an exciting time at the store.  After Mass we would gather in the kitchen of the store.  There was always a family reunion.  Uncle Dan, Aunt Magdalen, my Dad  and families made up the group.  And Uncle Lawrence would be out in the store waiting on customers.  Some of the nieces and nephews would try to help out but I don’t think Uncle Lawrence was too happy about that as we seemed to be more of a nuisance than a help..  In the kitchen, the Sunday Register was passed around to examine the sports news and the funnies.  There was a lot of talk about the Cubs and other goings on. Great times!  


           Then Grandpa got cancer and was suffered terribly.  I remember seeing him laying on a bed in the kitchen.  One day after we had gotten out of school, my brothers and sisters came over to the store and saw our car sitting out front.  The front door was closed and we knew something was wrong. Some time later the hearse came and we watched as they took Grandpa away. It was 1945 and the end of a chapter in the time of the Roseville Store. 

Text Box: See you at the Store!

Help Us Restore the Roseville General Store

Any donation is greatly appreciated!